WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA ASSOCIATION
The Western NC Association offers a range of resources to its churches and members — from scholarship information and applications to ministry and association documents. Looking for something that’s not here? Let us know with a note to email@example.com.
DR. JAMES H. LIGHTBOURNE, JR. SCHOLARSHIP
- Application deadline: March 1
- Applicant must be a member of a UCC church in the Southern Conference
- Applicant must be enrolled for the upcoming fall semester in a college, community college or technical school
- In addition to the Scholarship Application, applicant must submit the most recent copy of their high school or college transcript. Please allow plenty of time when you request a copy of your transcript, to be sure the transcript arrives by the Scholarship application deadline.Questions? Contact the individuals named in the Scholarship Application document.
WNCA MINISTRY PREPARATION SCHOLARSHIPS
To be eligible for scholarship consideration, applicants must —
- maintain current membership in and attendance at a WNCA church or Institutional Partner (ie, Catawba College, Elon University)
- demonstrate need based upon the cost of their program relative to income and other scholarship assistance available
Members in Discernment may apply for scholarship funds that may be applied to tuition, books and educational materials. To receive consideration, Seminary Scholarship applicants must —
- be accepted to an accredited seminary or divinity school
- maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA while in school
- Click here to download the Seminary Scholarship application
Members of WNCA churches who are pursuing authorized ministry in the WNCA through alternative avenues may apply for scholarship funds to cover tuition and other educational expenses. To receive consideration, Formation Scholarship applicants must —
- be accepted to the Pastoral Leadership Development (PLD) program or an accredited Bible college or program
- be at least 30 years of age at the time of application
- Click here to download the Formation Scholarship application
To be considered, a complete application package must be submitted (preferably in PDF format) no later than 5:00pm ET on the deadline date. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. A complete application package includes —
- Completed application form
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of acceptance from seminary or alternative program (a copy will be sufficient)
- Letter of recommendation from local pastor or mentor
- Deadline: February 28
The current Scholarship Committee will all applications and related materials during the month of March, and will notify selected recipients by April 1. WNCA reserves the right to rescind any scholarship award should the recipient’s circumstances change, and reserves the right to withhold awards in the event no applicants meet the qualifications. Scholarship award checks will be issued in mid-April for the fall term, and made payable jointly to the recipient and their college or program. Checks will be mailed to the recipient’s home address, but the recipient must deliver the check to their school or program’s financial aid office or program director.
OTHER UCC SCHOLARSHIPS
The national setting of the United Church of Christ administers a number of scholarships and grant programs. To explore available options, visit the Scholarships & Grants page on the UCC website.