At its October 7, 2017 annual gathering, the Western North Carolina Association celebrated its golden anniversary with stories from pastors and leaders who have served the Association for many years, with reflections from Millennial clergy, and with a challenge for the future from Conference Minister Edward Davis.
The meeting also featured two brief educational presentations. The Rev. Craig Schaub of Parkway UCC highlighted the UCC’s environmental ministries and shared the video below —
The Rev. Cheri Lovell offered a brief overview of crisis communications for churches, and provided the following handouts —
- Crisis Communications presentation (with speaker notes)
- Press Releases & The Media handout
- WNCA press release regarding Bethany UCC (Winston-Salem)
After lunch, the body conducted the business of the Conference, approving the 2018 budget, receiving reports from the Commission on Ministry and other groups, and electing the nominated slate of officers. The meeting ended with worship, communion, and affirmation of the newly-elected leaders. Among the meeting highlights —
- Welcome of Sacred Souls Community Church (Charlotte) into the Association
- Acceptance of a motion by The Rev. Colleen Samson to add a line item to the 2018 budget providing $6,000 to supplement the income of WNCA’s Minister for Church Affairs (MCA); and accepting Rev. Samson’s offer to lead a committee to raise an additional $6,000 to return MCA compensation to the level provided before the 50% reduction determined by the Southern Conference in the spring of 2016.
- Celebration of the 125th Anniversary of Trinity Reformed Church (Conover)
Click here to review or download documents from the 2017 WNCA Annual Meeting.